Thursday, July 23, 2009

Even bears learn not to mess with Russian women.

From MOS News:

53 year-old Siberian woman beats 200 kg bear barehanded
16 Jul, 01:04 PM

A 53 year-old woman from the Siberian village of Berezovskaya set upon a 200-kilogram bear and repulsed an attack from the animal, Russian website Life.ru reports. The bear, scared of the woman’s strength, fled into the forest.

Nadezhda Teplyakova was walking home from work when the wild animal suddenly attacked her.

“Our village is situated not far from the forest, but that was the first time I had heard of an attack from a bear. I was coming up to my house when it pounced on me from behind the bushes. I was held down by the bear and it started to tear at me,” Teplyakova said.

The petite woman of only 1.52 meters did not know what to do at first.

“The bear seized me by the ear. After that it bit my ponytail off, I almost fainted away with fear. Then I started to shout at the top of my voice at the animal. It was motionless with surprise. After that I have delivered several blows to its muzzle. It then just growled and ran away into the forest,” Teplyakova said. “I don’t know how I got home.”

“She entered the room covered with blood,” Nadezhda’s husband Victor said. “Then Nadya [Nadezhda] fell into my arms and said only the word “bear." After that she passed out.”

He took his wife to hospital at once.

“We operated on the mutilated woman for several hours. Our surgeons have sown up her head, leg and chest wounds. Now her condition is stable,” Local traumatologist Evgenii Afonin said.

However, the bear was not as lucky. The next day Victor went to the forest, tracked down the animal and shot it to avenge his wife.

No comments: